Finding the right gift for a second- or third-time mom can be tricky. She likely has all the essentials already and won’t be needing that teddy bear bath wrap, carry-all diaper tote or dreamy bedtime mobile—irresistibly adorable though they may be.
So what is a good baby gift? Second child, third child or even fourth child, we’ve gathered up our favorite gift ideas for not-new moms and growing families of all sizes. Whether for Mother’s Day or a baby shower, check out the categories below to find spot-on second baby gifts for your expecting loved one!
Diapers, Diapers, Diapers
Cribs, toys and clothes can be passed down from baby to baby, but diapers are a precious resource that always needs replenishing. Instead of stocking up on diapers that will take up tons of space in the nursery, try gifting a weekly or monthly diaper bundle! We love the diaper delivery options from Hello Bello, Parasol, The Honest Company and IncrediBundles.
Convenient Food Solutions
Just like diapers, new moms and dads can never have enough food in the house—especially if they already have two or three hungry kids to feed. While homemade dishes are always appreciated, other food options allow you to give families a more long-term mealtime solution.
Consider giving these great food-focused gifts for second baby showers:
- A gourmet coffee or tea subscription service
- Ready-to-serve baby, toddler and kids meals from Nurture Life
- Grocery delivery from Instacart, AmazonFresh or Thrive Market
- Restaurant gift cards
An Effortless Clean
When it comes to baby gift ideas, second-child families are often not all that different than first-timers. They’re busy, tired, happy and sometimes frazzled—and they definitely don’t want to spend time cleaning up all the messes that inevitably spring up.
You can give new moms, dads and other caregivers a break by having someone else do the heavy lifting for them:
- Laundry pick-up and delivery: Laundry services are great for keeping swaddles, onesies and changing-table blankets fresh and clean.
- Dry cleaning pick-up and delivery: Keep mom or dad’s work clothes pressed and ready to go.
- Car wash and detailing: To get out all the mess, spring for a luxury package with both exterior washing and interior deep-cleaning.
- Home cleaning services: Give a gift card to a convenient maid service like Molly Maid, Merry Maids or the Handy app.
Priceless Family Memories
The first few months of a new baby’s life are among the most cherished moments of all, so why not capture the happy memories by setting up a professional photo shoot? High-quality photos are a good baby gift for second-child, third-child or even fourth-child families.
If the new parents like art, you could also commission a custom illustration as an extra-special memory! Many artists on Etsy and similar platforms accept commissions for one-of-a-kind family portraits in pencil, watercolor, oil or digital media.
Something for Big Brother or Sister
Bringing a new sibling home can be tough on kids, as they have to adapt to a new household routine and possible feelings of jealousy or exclusion. That’s why some of the most appreciated second baby gifts aren’t for the second baby at all!
Surprise your friends’ toddlers or kids with something special that they can enjoy, too:
- An annual family membership to your local aquarium, zoo or children’s museum
- A new toy, book or game, just for big brother or big sister
- An offer to babysit and take older siblings out for a day of fun outdoor activities
- A kid-friendly box subscription for crafts, science projects or clothes
A Little Self-Care
Repeat moms may know a little more about what to expect with baby number two or three, but they’ll still go through periods of stress and exhaustion. These rejuvenating treats offer a little everyday luxury in the midst of low-sleep nights:
- Something cozy and comfy like a scarf, slippers or robe
- Postpartum massage gift card
- Mani/pedi/salon gift card
- Clothing subscription box like Le Tote
- Beauty box subscriptions like FabFitFun or Birchbox
If none of the items above strike your fancy, you really can’t go wrong with gift certificates to major retailers like Target, Amazon or Whole Foods. They may not feel like the most creative gifts for a second baby shower, but you can rest assured that they will be used.
With these thoughtful second baby gifts, you’ll go far beyond the basics and give new parents what they really want most: more time and energy to spend with their growing family. Whether you’re cutting down on time-consuming meal prep or treating mom to a little “me time” on Mother’s Day, your gesture of love and support will definitely be appreciated!